ST. LOUIS — The St. Louis area is in the middle of another surge of COVID-19 cases just weeks before children head back to school.
School districts are making their decisions as the highly contagious delta variant takes hold locally and across the country.
The St. Louis Metropolitan Pandemic Task Force pointed out a trend of more children being hospitalized with the virus. As of Tuesday, seven children were in area ICUs — three of them are too young to be vaccinated. Only children 12 and older are eligible to get Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine.
Schools also are faced with varying mask guidelines — especially in St. Louis County where a mask mandate is on a temporary hold until Aug. 17. The mandate remains in place in the city.
Last month, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommended masks for anyone 2 and older, including those who are fully vaccinated. And last week, the CDC updated its guidance to recommend that vaccinated people return to wearing masks indoors in parts of the U.S. where the delta variant is fueling infection surges. According to the CDC’s data, that includes the entire state of Missouri, except for Knox County.
5 On Your Side contacted school districts all over the Bi-state area to see how they’re planning a safe return to school for children. Follow the links below for full details on back-to-school plans, including each district’s mask guidance and other health measures.
This list will be updated as more school districts release their plans. And please note, some of these plans may change as local and federal guidelines are updated.
- Archdiocese of St. Louis (updated July 13)
- Alton Community Unit School District 11 (updated July 23)
- Affton School District (Updated Aug. 5)
- Belleville Public School District #118
- City of St. Charles School District
- Collinsville Community Unit School District 10 (updated July 30)
- East St. Louis District 189 (updated Aug. 4)
- Edwardsville School District #7 (updated Aug. 3)
- Ferguson-Florissant School District
- Fort Zumwalt School District R-II (updated July 30)
- Fox C-6 School District (updated Aug. 17)
- Francis Howell School District (updated Aug. 12)
- Freeburg Community Consolidated School District No. 70 | Clarification sent to parents Aug. 11
- Hancock Place School District
- Hazelwood School District
- Jennings School District (updated Aug. 16)
- Kirkwood School District (updated Aug. 4)
- Maplewood Richmond Heights School District (updated June 14)
- Mehlville School District (updated Aug. 5)
- Orchard Farm School District (updated Aug. 10)
- Parkway Schools (updated Aug. 4)
- Riverview Gardens School District (updated June 23)
- Rockwood School District
- Saint Louis Public Schools (updated in July)
- Valley Park School District (updated Aug. 6)
- Webster Groves School District (updated Aug. 5)
- Wentzville School District (updated July 13)
- Winfield R-IV School District