Breaking News
More () »

Suspected driver in deadly Ted Drewes hit-and-run crash turns self in

The man suspected of the hit-and-run accident was booked Monday on suspicion of leaving the scene of an accident and tampering with evidence.

ST. LOUIS — The man suspected of hitting and killing a CBC High School student near Ted Drewes was taken into custody after turning himself in Monday, police sources said.

The man suspected of the hit-and-run accident was booked Monday on suspicion of leaving the scene of an accident resulting in death and tampering with evidence, police confirmed in an official email Monday afternoon.

The 25-year-old man has not been charged, so 5 On Your Side has not released his name.

It comes days after the truck was found. Friday morning, St. Louis police announced the vehicle had been found in St. Louis County, but did not say where.

Police sources told 5 On Your Side the truck was brought to a mechanic for repairs on its front-end damage. From there, someone recognized the vehicle and called police, who canceled their search for the vehicle Thursday afternoon.

The suspect did not make any statements to police when he turned himself in, according to the sources. 

The investigation started on the night of July 29 when 17-year-old Matthew Nikolai was struck by a truck and killed on Chippewa Street. According to St. Louis police, Nikolai was struck at about 8:15 p.m. An early investigation by police said a pickup truck was traveling westbound on Chippewa Street.

Nikolai was walking from the Enterprise Bank & Trust parking lot towards Ted Drewes. The pickup truck struck Nikolai, causing him to fall into the eastbound lane where a Ford Fusion also struck him.

The pickup truck fled the scene continuing westbound on Chippewa, and the Fusion pulled over and is cooperating with the ongoing investigation.

Nikolai was not conscious or breathing when he was transported to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

St. Louis Police Sgt. Charles Wall said information from the community played a crucial role in the investigation.

"I can confirm that the vehicle was located because of the release of the still images and the description that was disseminated by our department and the local media. The St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department would like to thank the public for their assistance, as we have received numerous tips as a result to their attentiveness and desire to assist our investigation. Much of what law enforcement does is dependent on assistance from the community that we serve," he wrote.

RELATED: CBC High School student dies after being struck by 2 vehicles outside of Ted Drewes Friday

Nikolai was the second pedestrian struck and killed on the stretch of road near the St. Louis mainstay. In May, a 77-year-old man was also struck and killed while crossing the street in the same area.

RELATED: Man struck, killed while trying to cross Chippewa Street Saturday night

In data compiled by the nonprofit group Trailnet, four of the five pedestrian-involved crashes in the area of the Chippewa and Jameison intersection since 2017 were in front of Ted Drewes.

This road is operated by MoDOT, but a MoDOT spokesperson said its responsibilities for the road are limited to maintaining the driving surface. The spokesperson said traffic-calming measures are the responsibility of the City of St. Louis.

Advocates, like Michael Carmody with the regional group Safer Streets for Kirkwood and St. Louis County, say the area could be made safer with common traffic measures.

RELATED: St. Louis leaders demand change on intersection in front of Ted Drewes after hit-and-run death of high schooler

"There are solutions to this. About 50% of the crashes across from Ted Drewes could be reduced by putting in a well-lit, rapid flashing beacon continental marked crosswalk," Carmody said.

On Monday, 5 On Your Side reached out to Alderman Tom Oldenburg, who represents the area but never heard back.

Reporter Mercedes McKay learned from a business owner that Oldenburg met on Monday with various department heads of the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department and spoke to Ted Drewes twice over the weekend to be involved in short and long-term solutions.

Before You Leave, Check This Out