Breaking News
More () »

Candle may have caused fire that killed 7-year-old boy in Lincoln County

Officials said the fire is believed to have started in the area that the candle was burning

LINCOLN COUNTY, Mo. — A candle may be to blame for a fire that killed a 7-year-old boy in Lincoln County over the weekend.

On Nov. 30, the Lincoln County Fire Protection District responded to a mobile home fire in the 100 block of Blue Bunting Circle in Moscow Mills.

Nine of the 10 people who were inside the home were able to escape. Jaxon Parks, 7, was found dead inside by firefighters.

The Missouri State Fire Marshal’s Office was called to investigate and determined the fire to be accidental. Power was out in the neighborhood and a candle was lit to provide light in the home. Officials said the fire is believed to have started in the area that the candle was burning. According to a press release from the Lincoln County Fire Protection District, the exact ignition source was unable to be identified.

A relative told 5 On Your Side that everyone had just been gathered around the table for Thanksgiving. They would have never imagined that that would be the last time they would see him alive.

"It was real nice, everybody just sat at the dinner table. I just can't believe it," said the victim's aunt Aliyah Strenkowski, who also lived in the home.

5 On Your Side’s Justina Coronel talked to Jaxon’s father on Sunday. He said he tried to save his little boy.

"I just couldn't find him anywhere. I couldn't hear him nothing," Parks said. Baby boy, my world, my whole existence was trapped. He was the kindest boy. The boy loved everybody."

A GoFundMe was set up to help cover funeral costs, click here to donate

Parks said they were staying at his parents house to get back on their feet and were planning to get out in 90 days. Any extra money in the donation drive will help his parents rebuild. 

Jaxon was a second-grader at Peine Ridge Elementary. The Wentzville Police Department shared the following statement to its Facebook,

'It is with deep sorrow that we share the loss of a member of our WSD family, Jaxon Parks. Jaxon was a 2nd-grade student at Peine Ridge Elementary and he passed away in a fire at his grandmother's home early Saturday morning.

This is going to be a difficult time of grief for our students, our staff and our families. A team of educational support counselors will be at Peine Ridge this week to help us process this tragic loss. “Jaxon was a stranger to no one and his love and excitement for life was contagious,” said Peine Ridge Principal Dr. Ryan Andrews. “You couldn’t pass him without him giving you a high five or a hug. We are heartbroken and we are going to miss him.”

We will need to come together as a school, as a community, and as a family, to wrap our arms around our students and each other as we work our way through this sudden loss. Counseling will be available for anyone who needs it.

Please join us in expressing our deepest sympathy to Jaxon’s family and friends and everyone whose day was brightened by his sweet smile.'

RELATED: 'I want to give him something he deserves' | Lincoln County father tries to raise funds for son's funeral after fatal fire

RELATED: 'I can't believe it' | Lincoln County family mourns 7-year-old killed in fire

Before You Leave, Check This Out