ST. LOUIS — A person has died after being rescued from a building fire Sunday morning.
According to a tweet from St. Louis Fire Department, a fire broke out early Sunday morning in an occupied two-story building in the 5200 block of Wabada Avenue in the Kingsway West neighborhood in St. Louis.
A search of the building was done, and one person was rescued by firefighters and urgently taken to a local hospital, the tweet said. On Monday, police confirmed the person that was pulled from the fire had died.
The fire was knocked down by 3:40 a.m., according to the tweet.
On Monday, Garon Mosby with the St. Louis Fire Department said the fire started in the kitchen, where a pot of oil was left cooking on the stove. Mosby said the fire extended to the cabinets and eventually to the second floor. No functioning smoke detectors were located in the home.
No other information about the victim or the fire was available.
This is a developing story. 5 On Your Side will update information as it is confirmed.