Breaking News
More () »

2 killed, others injured in separate shootings over Fourth of July holiday in St. Louis

One of the victims was a 17-year-old boy.

ST. LOUIS — Two people were killed, and others were injured in shootings over the Fourth of July holiday in St. Louis.

This comes after a violent weekend in the city.

The first shooting happened at around 3 p.m. on July 4 at a gas station in the 4900 block of St. Louis Avenue. Police said they found a man in the parking lot suffering from gunshot wounds.

The victim was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead. He was identified as 18-year-old Lamantris Sample.

The second shooting happened at around 4 p.m. in the area of Union Boulevard and Maffitt Avenue. Officers responded to a call for a shooting in the 5200 block of Natural Bridge.

According to a police report, a 17-year-old boy, 61-year-old man and 41-year-old woman drove to a firehouse for medical assistance after someone shot at their car.

The 17-year-old suffered gunshot wounds and was taken to a hospital for treatment. He later died from his injuries.

On Tuesday, he was identified as Makahyah Griffin.

Anyone with information on these shootings should call St. Louis police’s homicide division at 314-444-5371 or CrimeStoppers at 866-371-TIPS (8477).

The third shooting on July 4 happened at around 10:20 p.m. at Goodfellow Boulevard and St. Louis Avenue. Police said a 19-year-old man was shot in the hand. He was conscious and breathing at the scene.

The victim told police he was walking along Goodfellow near Barret Brothers Park when he heard the sounds of gunshots and fireworks. He said he didn’t see where the shots came from.

Two shootings were reported in the city in the early morning hours of July 5.

The first shooting happened at around 1:18 a.m. in the area of 8th and Market streets near Kiener Plaza. Police said a 17-year-old girl arrived at an area hospital with a gunshot wound to her leg.

She told police she was standing on the sidewalk with a group of people when they began hearing gunshots. The 17-year-old said she felt pain in her rear end and realized she had been shot.

No one else in the group was injured.

The second shooting happened at around 4 a.m. near the intersection of Pine and 9th streets. 

When officers arrived at the scene, they found a 42-year-old man lying on the ground with gunshot wounds. He told police he heard multiple gunshots and felt pain in his abdomen.

A 39-year-old man told police two people were shooting off fireworks in the street and the 42-year-old man told them to “cut it out.” The suspects left the area and returned in a black car. The 39-year-old said he saw the suspects fire shots at them and left.

The 42-year-old man was taken to a hospital for treatment.

No other information about the shootings has been released. This is a developing story and will be updated as 5 On Your Side confirms more information.

Before You Leave, Check This Out