ST. LOUIS — INGREDIENTS:
- 2-1/2 pounds beef Stew Meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 cups water
- 1 package (.9 to 1.43 ounces) dry onion-mushroom soup mix
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup medium pearled barley
- 4 cups loosely packed fresh baby spinach
- Combine beef, water, soup mix, thyme, salt and pepper in stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 60 minutes.
- Stir in barley; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; continue simmering, covered, 45 minutes to 1 hour or until beef is fork-tender and barley is tender. Stir in spinach; cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
Nutrition information per serving, 1/6 of recipe: 248 Calories; 81 Calories from fat; 9g Total Fat (3 g Saturated Fat; 3 g Monounsaturated Fat;) 76 mg Cholesterol; 294 mg Sodium; 13 g Total Carbohydrate; 3.5 g Dietary Fiber; 29 g Protein; 3.9 mg Iron; 4.2 mg Niacin; 0.3 mg Vitamin B6; 2.3 mcg Vitamin B12; 6 mg Zinc; 18.9 mcg Selenium; 100.9 mg Choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of Protein, Iron, Niacin, Vitamin B12, Zinc, Selenium, and Choline; and a good source of Dietary Fiber, and Vitamin B6.
More Recipes from Show Me St. Louis:
RELATED: Recipe of the Day: 4 Paleo Desserts