ST. LOUIS — INGREDIENTS:
- 2-1/2 pounds beef Stew Meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 cups water
- 1 package (.9 to 1.43 ounces) dry onion-mushroom soup mix
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup medium pearled barley
- 4 cups loosely packed fresh baby spinach
- Combine beef, water, soup mix, thyme, salt and pepper in stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 60 minutes.
- Stir in barley; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; continue simmering, covered, 45 minutes to 1 hour or until beef is fork-tender and barley is tender. Stir in spinach; cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
Nutrition information per serving, 1/6 of recipe: 248 Calories; 81 Calories from fat; 9g Total Fat (3 g Saturated Fat; 3 g Monounsaturated Fat;) 76 mg Cholesterol; 294 mg Sodium; 13 g Total Carbohydrate; 3.5 g Dietary Fiber; 29 g Protein; 3.9 mg Iron; 4.2 mg Niacin; 0.3 mg Vitamin B6; 2.3 mcg Vitamin B12; 6 mg Zinc; 18.9 mcg Selenium; 100.9 mg Choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of Protein, Iron, Niacin, Vitamin B12, Zinc, Selenium, and Choline; and a good source of Dietary Fiber, and Vitamin B6.
For more great beef recipes, visit beefitswhatsfordinner.com. For more from the Missouri Beef Council, visit mobeef.org.
More Recipes from Show Me St. Louis:
RELATED: Recipe of the Day: 4 Paleo Desserts